We don’t just love languages because they can be used in the workplace; we love languages because they can be used throughout life. Last week we were surprised to find a number of multilingual football managers and Footballers, so this week we thought we’d take a look at celebrities and we were surprised to find that a growing number of Actors, Actresses and other Celebrities can speak a variety of languages.
1. Mila Kunis is famous for starring in the Black Swan and Forgetting Sarah Marshall but is well less known for her ability with languages. Brought up in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic before moving to the United States; she first learnt Russian, then English once in the USA.
2. Bradley Cooper star of The Hangover and Limitless took it upon himself to learn another language whilst he was at university. He started to learn French whilst studying English at Georgetown University, perfecting it on an exchange program spending 6 months France.
3. Malin Åkerman may not have starred as the lead in many films but the Swedish born actress has been in some big blockbusters including Watchmen, The Proposal and the summer release Rock of Ages. Åkerman can speak English and Swedish after moving from Sweden to Canada in her childhood as well as speaking some French and Spanish.
4. Johnny Depp has not only had an amazing career as an actor starring in Edward Sissorhands, Donnie Brasco, Blow and the Pirates of the Caribbean saga, he Can speak French as well. The actor has split much of his time living between Los Angeles and France over the last 10 years where he lives with his wife and kids.
5. Sandra Bullock who has starred in Speed and Miss Congeniality, as well as appearing alongside Malin Åkerman in The Proposal, can speak fluent German which she picked up whilst living in Germany for 12 years as a child.
6. Viggo Mortensen most famously known for playing Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as playing parts in Eastern Promises and a History of Violence grew up in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark in his youth obtaining dual American-Danish Citizenship. Today he can fluently speak English, Danish and Spanish as well as having conversational Italian and French.
7. Christopher Lee famous for starring in both Lord of the Rings and Star Wars as well as playing to many lead roles in his illustrious 64 year acting career can speak fluent English, Italian, French, Spanish and German, and is moderately proficient in Swedish, Russian and Greek. Rumour has it that he has done his own dubbing for some of his films international versions.
8. Natalie Portman holds dual Israeli-American citizenship due to having an American mother and Israeli father and can speak both Hebrew and English. The actress who broke through playing Mathilda in the film Léon has also appeared in V for Vendetta and co starred alongside Mila Kunis in Black Swan.
9. Joseph Gordon-Levitt star of hit indie film 500 days of Summer and Inception has impressed fans with his ability to speak fluent French as well as English.
10. Last but not least is Will Smith – possibly the coolest man in the world. He can act, sing, dance and can add speaking languages to his list with his proficiency of the Spanish language. The actor who broke through with the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air has been playing the lead in TV and film ever since the late1980’s.
Do you have a favourite actor with a multilingual capability?