We recently featured in an article in the Guardian discussing how learning a new language can really boost your career and that it is never too late to learn. To see the article and our comments in full click here.
But here’s a summary of the piece:
- Speaking to people in their own language for business purposes will yield results; people are far more likely to speak freely and openly if you are speaking in their own language
- In jobs in sales, marketing or technical support, languages can really open doors. In fact it is estimated that having an additional language on your CV can add between 10% to 15% to your salary.
- For those looking to boost a career, and in particular the graduates that are currently facing a tough time getting work, learning a language is very beneficial.
- Most countries may speak English, and whilst some business may very well be completed in English to accommodate parties from across the globe, if you are seen to know a language and demonstrate this it can help to retain business. It is form of courtesy to show someone you can and are willing to speak to them in the native language.
- Cultural knowledge is just as important as being able to speak another language. If you know the way of life of the country you are doing business in or with it will really prove beneficial.
- The five most useful languages to learn currently are as follows: French, Spanish, Swedish, German and Russian.
What’s your experience? Can you relate with the points in this article or are you thinking about learning a language to boost your career? Let us know!