Have you been applying tirelessly for jobs but don’t seem to be getting any calls back from employers? The recruiters here at Euro London have some top tips for writing the best CV, to help you find that perfect job!
- Look out for spelling mistakes! Regardless of your experience, bad spelling and grammar shows a lack of attention to detail. Employers receive lots of CVs and will throw out those with errors! Make sure you read through it with a fine-tooth comb, double check it, use a spell checker and get a friend to read it, to really make sure there are no mistakes!
- Don’t try to make it too fancy! (But also avoid using a bland, generic template). The information on your CV should be clear and easy to find. Use a plain, easy-to-read font, with clearly distinguished headings. The information you put in your CV should be detailed, relevant, yet concise – your CV should not be longer than two or three pages! You should also put your experience in chronological order, starting with the most recent. Employers don’t want to have to trawl through your CV to find what they’re looking for – hand it to them on a plate!
- Make sure to include a personal profile! This is a great way to introduce yourself to the employer, explain what your current working situation is and what kind of role you are looking for! It also adds some personality to your CV!
- Avoid having gaps in your CV! Breaks in your career can raise alarm bells for employers. Make sure to explain any significant gaps in your employment. If you went travelling for a few months, add that to your CV! Erase all ambiguity from your CV so that any doubts the employer may have, are nipped in the bud.
- Make sure all information you put in your CV is accurate and honest. You will always be caught out if you lie on your CV! Make sure dates on your CV match the dates on your LinkedIn profile. Don’t say that you are fluent in a language if you are not. Embrace the skills you truly have!
Implementing these tips into your CV are sure to help you stand out from the crowd! Now go ahead and apply for jobs with your new and improved CV and see the difference for yourself!
(Honourable mention: make sure you have some contact details on your CV. You’ll never get a call back if there’s no number to call!)
Published by Jordon Walsingham Talent Resourcer – Customer Services Division